- Member of Institution of Professional Engineers (IPENZ)
- Professional Electrical Engineer
- Certified Quality Manager
- Authorised TechLink Consultant
- Authorised Business Excellence Consultant
- Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- Associate Fellow New Zealand Institute of Management (NZIM)
- Member Institute of Directors (IOD)
- Diploma of Business Excellence – NZ Business Excellence Foundation
- Bachelor of Engineering with Honours (Electrical) – University of Canterbury, NZ
- Bachelor of Science (Physics) – University of Canterbury, NZ
Areas of expertise
- Strategic and Business planning
- New product & technology planning
- Business expansion and new technology
- Technology planning and implementation
- Integration of business excellence with organisation management systems, including ISO 9001 and ISO 14001
- Quality Award programme design and management
- Trainer and coach
Michael has worked for the NZ and US governments and in private enterprise, prior to setting up his own consultancy. PYXIS Consulting specialises in applying the Criteria for Performance Excellence to improve the performance of organisations.
Michael’s work with the Criteria has involved the assessment of organisations from two person partnerships to multi-site companies, and a wide range of businesses including government departments, local bodies, manufacturers, high technology companies, tourist operators, exporters, retailers and service based organisations.
- Over 10 years operating business improvement coach and mentoring consultancy, PYXIS
- 15 years experience in assessing companies to the NZ Business Excellence Foundation’s criteria for performance excellence (Baldrige criteria) including leading teams, coaching applicant organisations and observer of the assessment process
- Involved in assessing over 70 companies who applied to the Ministry of Commerce Business Development Awards
- Six years experience as Quality Manager of world wide operations of internationally recognised technology based organisation
- Five years experience in senior management role responsible for the successful transition of innovative new high technology products into production
- 30 years experience in high technology industry including analogue design, microprocessor system design, RF design, production development, engineering management and quality management
Sample of recent work completed
- Coached senior management teams in conducting organisational assessments to identify significant areas for performance improvement in a number of organisations in the manufacturing, IT, telecommunications and training sectors. In each case the organisation engaged PYXIS to use its Assessor tool to provide rapid determination of key areas for organisational improvement.
- Redesigned engineering design and maintenance components of ISO 9001 compliant business management system. Services provided include process mapping, documentation and staff training for its engineering activities and management for NZ Refining Company
- Custom designed and managed successful Business Excellence Awards programmes within three NZ regions. In each case PYXIS designed and project managed the Business Excellence Awards programme to meet the client’s needs. This included applicant workshops, application assessment, and judging activities
- Increased the performance of a world leading supplier of electrical control equipment. PYXIS was engaged to provide coaching and to design and introduce a number of integrated processes into its existing ISO 9001 management system. Assessor was used to establish the key processes to be targeted for improvement. These key processes included strategic planning, management review, organisational staff culture survey and a performance management system for senior managers
- Internal quality auditor training course tutor. NZOQ engaged Michael Voss of PYXIS as a tutor for its ISO 9001 internal auditor’s course.
- Technology strategy planning of high risk development projects for over 50 technology-based high growth potential export companies. In each case the company engaged PYXIS to prepare a technology plan consistent with their overall strategic direction and provide advice on possible funding assistance from Technology New Zealand. For many companies this resulted in the company applying for and obtaining technology development funding through Technology New Zealand.
- Process design and introduction of Project Management methodology. PYXIS was engaged to introduce structured processes designed to deliver development projects within specification, on time and within budget. This work also involved development of a standardised risk management methodology
- Facilitated regional level planning consistent with national objectives. The NZ Fire Service engaged PYXIS to facilitate its regional planning activities for their Western and Northern regions
- Growth planning for manufacturing company. PYXIS was engaged to assist with a range of organisational growth services including coaching, strategic and business planning, senior staff appointments, technology planning, new ISO 9001 compliant management system and advice on obtaining government assistance from Technology NZ and NZ Trade and Enterprise with its drive to develop export sales opportunities
- Facilitated regional level planning. The NZ Police engaged PYXIS to facilitate regional planning activities for the Central region. PYXIS was also engaged to assist with project management training for managers of its organisational change projects.
Two handbooks on Business Excellence published by NZ Business Excellence Foundation.
Authors: Doug Matheson, Michael Voss, Bill English and Sue Wright.
- What is Business Excellence – Part 1
- How to implement Business Excellence – Part 2
Mann, R.S. & Voss, M.E. (2000). An Innovative Process Improvement Approach that Integrates ISO 9000 with the Baldrige Framework. Benchmarking: An International Journal, Vol 7, No.2, p128-146; won the Tait Quality Prize for Best Practical Quality Paper in New Zealand for 2000.